Survival guide for the festive season
Tuesday, 11 December 2012
The festive season can be one of the most difficult when it comes to weight loss. There are so many functions with delicious foods on offer that at times it is hard to stop yourself. It is definitely a time to enjoy but below is a list of useful tips to help you through the Christmas season.
- Use smaller plates. This helps you eat smaller portions. Enjoy all the great food but moderation is the key.
- Drink 1 to 2 glasses of water before eating. This helps satiety levels and keeps you hydrated. Try to also have one glass of water in between each glass of alcohol or soft drink.
- Clear the table once the meal is finished rather than sitting around and picking away at all the leftovers.
- Do not go to a party on an empty stomach. Try to eat consistently throughout the day so you are less likely to overeat at the party.
- Limit high fat items. It is important to enjoy all foods however high fat foods are the hardest to work off. So just be mindful of what you are eating and make a conscious decision not to indulge in fatty foods.
- Exercise when possible. It is very important to still get out and do half an hour of exercise each day as it will keep your metabolism ticking over, burning more of the holiday food you eat.
- Continue to eat breakfast. If you wake up and don't feel hungry try to have breakfast anyway as it kick starts your metabolism.
- Stay positive. If you are not very successful don't get down on yourself. Enjoy this time of year and get back into your usual routine as soon as possible!