Friday, 15 June 2012
This delicious eggplant parmesan is sure to be a hit with the whole family! And with just 224 calories per serve and 14.5 grams of protein, it fits right in to your diet plan…
What you’ll need…
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2inch rounds
- 1 egg, beaten with 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup light mozzarella cheese
(This recipe makes 4 serves)
- Lay the eggplant slices on a towel and sprinkle salt over them. Place another towel on top and let sit for half an hour to drain the excess fluid and remove the bitter taste. Rinse the salt off and pat dry gently.
- Preheat the oven to around 230 degrees C and prepare a baking tray with aluminium foil and cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan and garlic powder. Prepare the egg (beaten with water) in a separate bowl.
- Place the eggplant in the egg and water, then in the breadcrumb mixture. Place on the baking tray.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until brown and crispy, turning it over halfway through.
- In a baking dish, layer eggplant with the tomato sauce, then add the mozzarella on top. Bake until the cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!